Have you ever experienced the frustration that comes with job searching? Sending out dozens of resumes, scouring the internet, going to interview after interview without ever getting a second call. It can be overwhelming and discouraging. As a recruiter in the staffing industry, I’ve met many candidates who’ve had these experiences before hearing about the opportunities available through staffing firms. Working with a staffing firm can offer job seekers many benefits, especially when it comes to finding jobs that can’t be found elsewhere. Staffing firms have the unique advantage of offering opportunities job seekers would not be able to find on their own. Here are a few examples why a position might only be available through a staffing firm.
- Project Needs: Many of our customers contact us for project needs. They could have a permanent employee out on leave, or they have a large order they need extra help with. These can last anywhere from a few days to a few months. These positions can give candidates a great “foot in the door” opportunity. Consider it a working interview – if the position lasts longer or if a permanent job opens up, you’ve already proven you can do the job and are an asset to the company. If your situation allows, be open to project positions through a staffing firm. You never know where they could lead.
- Lack of Resources: Some small companies contact us when their HR department doesn’t have the capacity to recruit the right candidates. Sometimes they are under staffed or don’t have the time needed to search for and interview candidates
- Contracts: Larger customers often sign exclusive contracts for certain positions, meaning the only way to get a job with their company is through our firm. It won’t be posted on job sites or their website – all candidates must be submitted through the staffing company.
- Leave it to the Experts: Staffing firms are staffing experts. Our firm has CSP certified recruiters that can search for and interview candidates faster and more thoroughly than most HR departments can. Companies recognize this and utilize staffing firms to find them great employees.
- Marketing: Recruiters may market a resume to a company where they think the candidate would be a good fit, even if there is not an opening. We do this on a weekly basis. If we think you would be perfect for Company XYZ but don’t have an opening for them right now, we’ll still call them about you – with your permission. It’s surprising how often a company that is not hiring will make a position available based on our recommendation.
- Confidential Searches: Companies running confidential searches keep their posting off the typical go-to sources. They won’t be on CareerBuilder, Indeed or the company website. Usually a company does this when they are replacing a current employee and they need to be discreet.
Job searching is a full time job. It’s frustrating at times but with hard work and resourcefulness, you can succeed. Take advantage of every opportunity you can, including applying with a staffing firm. Staffing Firms offer great advantages: resume and interview tips, foot-in-the door opportunities and access to jobs you didn’t even know were out there!